September 12, 2011

This is uniquely Greek

Location: Samos Island, Greece (37° 44′ 0″ N, 26° 50′ 0″ E)
Date: 3 April 2010; 3.35pm
Camera: Canon 400D with Canon 70-200/f4L USM

At the moment Greece is in the dump economically. I wonder if things has gotten cheaper in the country. When I visited the country a year or so ago, I was surprised to find that it is much more expensive than Turkey- due partly to the fact that it is Euro-based. However I was already wondering to myself as I noticed that the Greeks (at least the ones that I encountered) do not seem very motivated to work hard for a living. This feeling is especially pronounced to me, having just spent a few weeks in Turkey- the Turks just seem to be more hungry. Little did I realised that this appearance foretells a bleak economic reality. In any case, as a tourist I enjoyed its unique character and its rich cultural and historical heritage. I find its unique Mediterranean architecture extremely exciting- such as this church on Samos Island.

No comments: